Trainee positions and scholarships for trainees in INTERACT Research Unit, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland, http://interact.oulu.fi) are available, to conduct practical training for two months. The scholarship for trainees is 1500 euros. Maximum of eight trainees will receive the scholarship. It is possible to continue to a master’s thesis on the topic. The applicants are asked to select 1 or maximum of 2 topics that they consider relate most to their expertise and interest. The topics are the following:
- Tietojenkäsittelytieteiden kandidaatintutkinnon ensimmäisen vuoden opintojen digitalisointi ja kehittäminen avoimen yliopiston tarjontaan
- Arjen tietotekniset palvelutarpeet (pienissä) kolmannen sektorin organisaatioissa (kirjallisuuskatsaus + haastatteluja: Oulun Tietotekniikka + paikallisia toimijoita)
- Suomen taksialan käyttämät taksamittarit
- Suomen taksialan käyttämät tilausvälitysjärjestelmät
- IoT from the user point of view (literature review + preparing a plan/assignment of a campus project)
- Strategic UX in IS development
- Usability in game design and development process
- Usability benefits in gamification
- Usability and UX evaluation in gamification
- Usability and UX attitudes among open source software developers
- Empirical evaluation of play data profiling in games
- Brain-Computer Interfaces in HCI
- Psychophysiological measurements in HCI
- Empirical evaluation of the impact of animation and visual/audio cues to game usability and UX
- Safety culture using instructional design and animation. Possibilities to tackle the topic: 1. Literature review; 2. Safety culture in Fablab; 3. Creating short animation instructional safety videos.
- Teaching programming in comprehensive schools (literature review/interviews)
- Teaching electronics in comprehensive schools (literature review/interviews)
- Teaching 3D modelling and printing in comprehensive schools (literature review/interviews)
- Children and the maker movement (not school related) (literature review/interviews)
- Teenagers privacy views and attitudes related social media use (literature review/interviews/survey)
- What is information security/online safety - Children's definitions (literature review/interviews/survey)
- Threats to online safety: Content threats (e.g. spam, violence), Contact threats (e.g., bullying, grooming), Conduct threats (e.g. illegal file sharing), Computer threats (e.g. malware, phishing) (literature review/interviews/survey)
- Mediating online safety: Industry mediation (e.g. content screening, privacy policies), Technology (e.g. parental controls, adblockers), Policies and educational efforts (e.g. KiVa koulu, Better internet for Children), Social mediation by parents, teacher (literature review/interviews/survey)
- Mobility as a Service (MaaS)
The applicant must have a suitable bachelor’s degree.
The applicant is expected to use this opportunity to get 5 ECTS from the “Work Experience in ICT responsibilities” (814601S) course. This will be done by applying the main procedures and templates from the course accordingly. Before starting the traineeship, a plan must be delivered with personal learning goals. For 2 months, a short weekly report on the progress and status of the training must be delivered. Finally, in the end a final report must be prepared. Templates for all these documents are available in Noppa as “common additional material” yet the content of the documents should be applied for this specific purpose as traineeship under supervision. By following this procedure for 2 months, 5 ECTS credits will be gained. In case you will be accepted, you should enroll to the course by sending mail to the responsible teacher of the course (firstname.lastname@example.org). All reports will be delivered through Optima workspace. Students who already have credits for this course are not qualified as applicants.
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted to Professor Netta Iivari, e-mail:
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- application letter (describing students’ background and motivation)
- a brief curriculum vitae
- latest transcript of records
Please indicate to which topic you apply.