Researchers' Toolbox for the Future
Open calls for participation
- IDC 2021 Conference - Workshop on Empowering, Inclusive, and Accessible AI for and with Children (deadline extended to April 26th, details here)
- IFIP TC13 INTERACT 2021 Conference - Workshop on Love in the Time of a Pandemic (deadline June 1st, workshop days Aug 30-31st, details here)
- Academic Mindtrek 2021 Conference - Workshop on Understanding and Designing Accessible and Inclusive Artificial Intelligence (submission deadline May 15th, details here)
Researchers' toolbox for the future is a series of workshops dedicated towards exploring, discussing, redefining, and formulating methods for imagining the future of technology, one that is empowering albeit provocative. In these workshops, we build on critical and/or future-oriented methods such as critical design, speculative design, design fictions, and others. Our goal is to compile a methodological toolbox for the future of HCI research; one that enables us to inquire, design, and critically examine our technological futures.
Currently, there are two parallel tracks for these workshops, one that is focused on critical design fiction in general with the other geared towards Child-Computer Interaction (CCI). These tracks support each other, but the CCI track focuses specifically on working for and with children. Within Child Computer Interaction (CCI), there is an emphasis on empowering children through co-design and co-creation of technology that shapes their learning, inside and outside the classroom, their wellbeing and lifestyle, and everyday experiences. However, the focus has primarily been on now or the near future, with limited work on designing children’s future technological life worlds.
In these workshops, researchers and practioners discuss, critique, imagine, and redefine methods and approaches towards technology design for the future.
Previous workshops and seminars
- June 2020 in ACM SIGCHI Mumbai Chapter meet: Imagining the Future of Technology
- June 2020 in Interaction Design and Children conference: Designing for the Future
- Oct 2020 in NordiCHI conference: Empowering Children To Shape Their Future
- Nov 2020 in IndiaHCI conference: Friendships and Romance During a Pandemic
- Mar 2021 at ACM SIGCHI HCI4SouthAsia's seminar on the AI for the Next Billion
Page last updated: April 12th 2021