Researchers' Toolbox for the Future
Upcoming calls for participation
- AI-Day poster presentation on 16th Nov on Age Against the Machine: A Call for Designing Ethical AI for and with Children (info coming soon)
- Workshop on Love in the Time of a Pandemic (details coming here, free to participate)
- Workshop on Empowering, Inclusive, and Accessible AI for and with Children (details coming here, free to participate)
Researchers' toolbox for the future is a series of workshops dedicated towards exploring, discussing, redefining, and formulating methods for imagining the future of technology, one that is empowering albeit provocative. In these workshops, we build on critical and/or future-oriented methods such as critical design, speculative design, design fictions, and others. Our goal is to compile a methodological toolbox for the future of HCI research; one that enables us to inquire, design, and critically examine our technological futures. We also explore newer ways of working with children on design and Making and in the FabLabs, sharing learnings from our past experiences and fortunate accidents.
Currently, there are two parallel tracks for these workshops, one that is focused on critical design in general with the other geared towards Child-Computer Interaction (CCI). These tracks support each other, but the CCI track focuses specifically on working for and with children. Within Child Computer Interaction (CCI), there is an emphasis on empowering children through co-design and co-creation of technology that shapes their learning, inside and outside the classroom, their wellbeing and lifestyle, and everyday experiences. However, the focus has primarily been on now or the near future, with limited work on designing children’s future technological life worlds.
In these workshops, researchers and practioners discuss, critique, imagine, and redefine methods and approaches towards technology design for the future.
Published workshop outcomes
- International Journal on Interaction Design & Architecture(s) (IxD&A), Issue 51- 2022, full paper: In Pursuit of Inclusive and Diverse Digital Futures: Exploring the Potential of Design Fiction in Education of Children. Sharma, S., Hartikainen, H., Ventä-Olkkonen, L., Eden, G., Iivari, N.,... & Fatás Arana, R. (open access)
- Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS), 2021, full paper: From Mild to Wild: Reimagining Friendships and Romance in the Time of Pandemic Using Design Fiction. Sharma, S., Iivari, N., Kinnula, M., Eden, G., Ballav, A., Fatas, R., ... & Valluri, N. (open access)
INTERACT Publication Series, Issue 4 - Dec 2020: Special Issue on Designing the future of technology with and for children. Kinnula, M. , Iivari, N., Sharma, S., Okkonen, J. & Kotilainen, S. (Eds.) (open access)
Previous workshops and seminars
- June 2020 in ACM SIGCHI Mumbai Chapter meet: Imagining the Future of Technology
- June 2020 in Interaction Design and Children conference: Designing for the Future (ACM paper)
- Oct 2020 in NordiCHI conference: Empowering Children To Shape Their Future (ACM paper)
- Nov 2020 in IndiaHCI conference: Friendships and Romance During a Pandemic
- Mar 2021 at ACM SIGCHI HCI4SouthAsia's seminar on the AI for the Next Billion (Presentation video)
- June 2021 at Academic Mindtrek conference: Designing Accessible and Inclusive AI (ACM paper)
- Oct 2021 at ACM SIGHCI HCI4SouthAsia's 2nd seminar on AI for the Next Billion (Presentation video)
- Nov 2021 at India HCI conference: Disruption to Destruction to Directive: Changing Landscape of Design
- Nov 2021 at AI day 2021: Making sense of how to create ethical AI for young children with autism
- May 2022 at FabLearn EU / MakeEd conference on A Series of Fortunate Accidents: Lessons Learned When Things Go Sideways in Making Projects with Children (ACM paper)
- May-Jun 2022 at Amazing North event in Oulu open workshop titled Oh no, my dog is a blueberry muffin! Learning about Algorithms and AI.
- Oct 2022 at NordiCHI conference: Age Against the Machine: A Call for Designing Ethical AI for and with Children
- Nov 2022 at IndiaHCI conference: Accessible and Inclusive AI: Looking to the future, as a part of EDUFI AIAI project
- Nov 2022 at Urdu Ghar in old city, Hyderabad, a workshop on imagining the future of social communication for minority communities based on their covid informational experiences
Page last updated: Nov 13th 2022