Researchers' Toolbox for the Future
Upcoming calls for participation
- Hybrid seminar on Accessible and Inclusive AI: Looking to the future as a part of EDUFI AIAI project (info and details coming soon here)
- Workshop on Love in the Time of a Pandemic (details coming here, free to participate)
- Workshop on Empowering, Inclusive, and Accessible AI for and with Children (details coming here, free to participate)
Researchers' toolbox for the future is a series of workshops dedicated towards exploring, discussing, redefining, and formulating methods for imagining the future of technology, one that is empowering albeit provocative. In these workshops, we build on critical and/or future-oriented methods such as critical design, speculative design, design fictions, and others. Our goal is to compile a methodological toolbox for the future of HCI research; one that enables us to inquire, design, and critically examine our technological futures.
Currently, there are two parallel tracks for these workshops, one that is focused on critical design fiction in general with the other geared towards Child-Computer Interaction (CCI). These tracks support each other, but the CCI track focuses specifically on working for and with children. Within Child Computer Interaction (CCI), there is an emphasis on empowering children through co-design and co-creation of technology that shapes their learning, inside and outside the classroom, their wellbeing and lifestyle, and everyday experiences. However, the focus has primarily been on now or the near future, with limited work on designing children’s future technological life worlds.
In these workshops, researchers and practioners discuss, critique, imagine, and redefine methods and approaches towards technology design for the future.
Published workshop outcomes
- Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS) 2021 full paper: From Mild to Wild: Reimagining Friendships and Romance in the Time of Pandemic Using Design Fiction. Sharma, S., Iivari, N., Kinnula, M., Eden, G., Ballav, A., Fatas, R., ... & Valluri, N. (open access)
INTERACT Publication Series (issue 4, Dec 2020): Special Issue on Designing the future of technology with and for children. Kinnula, M. , Iivari, N., Sharma, S., Okkonen, J. & Kotilainen, S. (Eds.) (open access)
Previous workshops and seminars
- June 2020 in ACM SIGCHI Mumbai Chapter meet: Imagining the Future of Technology
- June 2020 in Interaction Design and Children conference: Designing for the Future (ACM paper)
- Oct 2020 in NordiCHI conference: Empowering Children To Shape Their Future (ACM paper)
- Nov 2020 in IndiaHCI conference: Friendships and Romance During a Pandemic
- Mar 2021 at ACM SIGCHI HCI4SouthAsia's seminar on the AI for the Next Billion (Presentation video)
- June 2021 at Academic Mindtrek conference: Designing Accessible and Inclusive AI (ACM paper)
- Oct 2021 at ACM SIGHCI HCI4SouthAsia's 2nd seminar on AI for the Next Billion
- Nov 2021 at India HCI confernece: Disruption to Destruction to Directive: Changing Landscape of Design
Page last updated: Dec 1st 2021