I am a postdoctoral researcher in the Interact research group. I have previously completed my master (2007) and my licentiate (2013) at Luleå University of Technology in the area of information security. I did my PhD project here at university of Oulu focusing on web 2.0, social media, and children's online safety. My research was supervised by Netta IIvari and Marianne Kinnula. I defended my PhD thesis titled Malice in Wonderland: Children, Online safety and the Wonderful World of Web 2.0 in december 2017.
Research activities: Currently I am working on DeMaKids project concerning children as technology makers and shapers. It is a spearhead project funded by North-Osthrobothnia Regional Fund that aims 1) To empower children through technology making and designerly thinking in education and to 2) To develop new tools in cooperation with schools and the educational sector for educating children in technology making and designerly thinking. During the DeMaKids project, I have also completed FabAcademy diploma, which awarded for successful completion of 20 certificates on digital fabrication. During fabAcademy students learn to envision, prototype and document ideas through hands-on work with digital fabrication tools. They plan and execute a new project each week, taking a variety of code formats and turning them into physical objects.
Teaching activities: I assist courses such as Introduction to Information processing science, Information Systems in Organisations, Introduction to Research Work, Information Systems Planning and Introduction to Software Business. In addition I take part in master and bachelor student thesis supervision. Related to teaching I also work in the Luno project that aims to increase the proportion of female students in post-secondary education in the software industry, as well as in the national Digital Education for All -project which aims to make the first year university studies on information processing science open to everyone.
- Children and teenagers as IT/Internet users
- Qualitative research
- Human-Computer Interaction & Child-Computer Interaction
- Digital fabrication / Maker movement
- Social media and web 2.0
- Social networks, instant messaging, content creation, virtual worlds (gaming and social)
- Facebook, ask.fm, WhatsApp, Instagram, Youtube, SecondLife, WoW etc.
- Online safety and Information security
- Threats to online safety
- Content threats (e.g. spam, violence),
- Contact threats (e.g, bullying, grooming),
- Conduct threats (e.g. illegal file sharing)
- Computer threats (e.g. malware, phishing)
- Online safety mediation
- Industry mediation (e.g. content screening, privacy policies),
- Technology (e.g. parental controls, adblockers),
- Policies and educational efforts (e.g. KiVa koulu, Better internet for Children)
- Social mediation by parents, teacher
- Threats to online safety
See more about me: