I am a postdoctoral researcher in the Interact research unit, University of Oulu. Much of my research is qualitative and phenomenon-driven research, concerning the role of information technologies in social practices. While publishing mostly in the field of Information Systems, I champion a certain research eclecticism. Therefore my studies sometimes lean towards applied anthropology, other times towards applied philosophy. My PhD degree is from University of Bergen in Information Science, and my MSc degree is from University of Tampere in Computer Science. My research has been published in the Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Information Processing & Management (IPM), AI & Society, and in conferences such as ICIS, IFIP WG 8.2, ECIS, HICSS, SCIS, INTERACT, COOP, and NORDICHI. Before joining academia, I worked in managerial and development positions in healthcare IT for seven years, and in VoIP service development for one year.
For TOL master's students who are in search of a supervisor: I am especially interested in supervising topics related to online communities, digital platforms, changing nature of work, Wikipedia, social media, and practice-oriented design. You can also propose your own topic. Here is a list of master's theses that I have supervised to completion:
- M.Sc. Mauno Vähä: Applying microservice architecture pattern to a design of an MMORPG backend (December 2017)
- M.Sc. Fanny Vainionpää: Managerial Work Revisited: Shadowing in an IT Company (May 2017)
- M.Sc. Annekaisa Pahkala: Why public displays invite use in some places but not in others: A comparative study of UBIOulu. Co-supervised with Leena Ventä-Olkkonen. (March 2017)
- M.Sc. Mikko Nykänen: The evolution of social media guidelines in companies: An exploratory case study of two Finnish companies. Co-supervised with Juho Lindman (Hanken School of Economics). (May 2016)
- M.Sc. Feiran Huang: What Motivates and Restricts Chinese Wikipedians to Contribute to English Wikipedia? (May 2016)